Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Blog Post 1

    My name is Regina (Gina) Sawyer.  I grew up in Mobile,  Alabama,  and attended USA after graduating from high school.  While attending the university,  I met my husband at the beginning of my third year of college.  He had just graduated from Auburn University,  when we were introduced to each other.  It was truly "love at first sight",  and we married a year later.  We then moved to Enterprise,   Alabama in order for him to attend flight school for the Army at Fort Rucker.  I completed my degree in Elementary Education at Troy University.  I always knew that I wanted to be an Elementary School Teacher.  I have always worked well with young children from babysitting to coaching sports.  Therefore,  my decision to become a teacher was an easy choice.
    I have lived in many different areas of the world due to my husband's military career. Our favorite duty station was Germany and Italy!! During this time,  I was fortunate to be able to stay at home with my young children.  My family and I have great memories,  met many wonderful people,  and made life-long friends during this time of our life!!
    When my youngest child entered K4,  I eagerly began my teaching career.  I taught school for 5 years until a business opportunity became a promising idea in order for my family to relocate to Baldwin County.  I have co-owned and operated a successful gymnastics school for ten wonderful years.  Due to the sluggish economy, and my desire to get back into the classroom,  we sold our business this past year.  Therefore,  I am ready, and excited to resume my teaching career.
    As I have mentioned,  I am blessed to be married to an extraordinary man.  He is a Pilot for Net Jets, Inc.,  and he is also a helicopter pilot in the Army National Guard.  He is currently activated for deployment to Iraq.  He is completing training at Ft. Hood, Texas and will leave for Iraq in June for a year long tour.   I also have a beautiful daughter who is a sophomore at the University of Alabama.  I have an amazing sixteen year old son who will be a junior next year at Daphne High School.
    It is probably quite obvious that my passion is my family.  I  enjoy traveling and spending quality time with them.  It is extremely important to me to make our family experience, and the time we spend together a priority.  I am a very active, energetic person.  I am constantly "doing" something.  I prefer working out, walking on the beach,  maintaining my yard and home, rather than sedentary activities such as watching television.
    I am looking forward to  taking EDM 310.  Participating in this class will be an awesome challenge for me, but I am prepared to devote my time to this class for personal growth and development.  I believe that this class will give me the learning tools that I need to implement into my classroom in order for me to be a successful teacher.        
  

7 comments:

  1. Regina,

    Good job on your first real post! You made me jealous bragging about your time in Europe. It's awesome your husband is in the military. My uncle also flew.
    And get ready... EDM310 is going to benefit in more ways than you think! Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see those HTML codes.
    :)

    Jacey-Blaire

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a great deal in common! I grew up in Baldwin County so I'm very familiar with that area over there. My family now lives in Fairhope. I like that you said you have coached because I work with the football team here at USA. I grew up an Auburn fan and actually started college at Auburn before transferring to USA, so tell your husband I said "War Eagle!", and that I appreciate everything that he and our military do for us. I think it is really neat that you have gotten to live in so many places, especially overseas. My girlfriend is going to Europe for 30 days this summer and is really excited. What was your favorite place to visit over there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul,
    I'll tell my husband, but he and my daughter will respond with a Roll Tide! But my favorite place that I visited was Italy. It was spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regina,
    I as well am so excited that I have classes with you. And your blog is beautiful. We will need to have a gab fest so you can tell me about Italy. I know that when you get back into the classroom, your will be a fantastic teacher.
    Also we are going to have to get together for study sessions. But I have to know. Did you learn any Italian while you were in Italy and since I love to cook, how was the food?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Net Jets. Those are the jets CEOs use. Right? Sounds interesting.

    So you are here to get/renew your certificate. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Gina, I really enjoyed reading about your life. It sounds so interesting to have been stationed in Germany and Italy. What an amazing adventure for your family to have been able to live in these spectacular places.
    I was able to stay home with my children when they were younger and I cherish every moment of it. I know you are excited about returning to the classroom.Once you have been there and have such an influence on the future of the children we lead and teach.
    I am so thankful for the men, like your husband, who will stand up for our country and fight for our freedom. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina,

    I loved reading your about me! I'm also glad to hear of your excitement for EDM310! It's going to be a fun semester! :)

    Keep up the good work!

    Allie

    ReplyDelete