Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blog Post 7

Randy Pausch quote


Randy Pausch's powerful lecture is based on his journey through life, teaching achievements, and valuable lessons learned. The lecture was once known as, Randy Pausch's Last Lecture, but was renamed, Really Achieving Your Childhood Dream. Due to the fact the Mr. Pausch was struggling with Pancreatic Cancer, and he refused to be pitied, thus the title was changed.

I was simply in awe of this man's incredible strength and willingness to fulfill his journey in life until his last day. He made a huge impact in this world, and will be missed by many. After viewing the lecture, I took an opportunity to view some of the other video's on Randy Pausch. His genuine spirit and understanding of the important things in life really touched me.

Really Achieving Your Childhood Dream is something that we all strive for in life. Randy Pausch truly did fulfill all of his childhood dreams with the exception of one. He wanted to play football in the NFL. Needless to say, he was not an NFL football player, but he did play high school football where he learned fundamentals in sports and in life. He said, "Football got me where I am today." It taught him fundamentals and hard work. I really appreciated the comment, if people don't show an interest to think your good enough by telling you your doing something badly, that means they've given up on you.

I believe as an educator, his insight on football can help teachers understand and educate our students. I believe education comes first above sports or other extra curricular activities. However, I do think students need to be well rounded students, and football (sports) really promote self discipline (fundamentals) and hard work. These qualities will carry a student throughout their life.

He mentioned that at football practice the coaches were always telling him what he did badly which frustrated him. Then a coach told him, when your doing something badly, but no one tells you, that means they've given up on you. Football coaches have a different delivery when working with students, but the end result is the same goal, to be a winner. I do not ever want my students to think I've given up on them. Teachers need to reinforce concepts to students who are "not getting it." Praise and positive motivation goes a long way in achieving any goal.

His profound statement, Brick walls are there for a reason, they are there to let us prove how badly we want something. Brick walls are there to stop people who don't want it bad enough. Brick wall keep those people out. This statement hit me deeply on a personal level. My late brother-in-law who suffered from viral encephalitis, did not let brick walls stop him. He had severe seizures on a daily basis, and sometimes multiples in one day. But he was passionate about becoming a lawyer. Through very hard work, determination, and motivation, he succeeded. He did not let a brick wall stop him, he proved how bad he wanted to become a lawyer.

I mention this because, as teachers, we must not stereotype students. Teachers must always encourage and be uplifting to students. The self-fulfilling prophecy is not something that we want our students to be stigmatized by. Displaying negative thoughts and attitudes toward our students, will limit their progress and achievements in life. In relation to this, Mr. Pausch made the statement, "wait long enough, people will surprise and impress you. Sometimes we just haven't given them enough time.

I really enjoyed the part about his mother and father. After listening to him speak about his mom, I thought no wonder he was such an inspirational speaker. His mother obviously had many great qualities, like putting things into the proper perspective. I laughed about the comment when he was stressed about earning his PHD, and his mom says,"remember dear, when your father was your age he was fighting the Germans. As a military wife, I cannot fathom how after fifty years, she did not know her husband had received a bronze star. What a humble and brave man! I will say, "I think Randy Pausch came from good stock." I think when his parents allowed him to paint his bedroom the way he wanted, and it still being in his parents home, was a very meaningful experience for him.

I hope as a teacher, I will give my students the freedom and creativity to explore without in such a meaningful way. I wish I would have done more of that with my own children. Other profound statements that struck me were the following:

Sell something worthwhile like education

Learn from our students

Tell them about having fun. Keep having fun, there is no other way to play

Help people

Loyalty is a two way street

Can't get there alone, you will need help

Don't bail! The best gold is at the bottom barrels of crap

Do the right thing and good stuff will happen

Listen to your feedback loop-cherish it- use it

Show your gratitude

Don't complain, just work harder

Be good at something it makes you valuable

Find the best in everybody-No matter how long you have to wait for them to show it

Be prepared, "luck" is where preparation meets opportunity

As a teacher, the statement about preparation and opportunity are right on target. When teaching young children, I believe, through my life lessons, hard work, and desire to help children learn, I hope to enable the dreams of my students to come true.

1 comment:

  1. I as well loved Randy Pausch's lecture. It was very inspiring to me. I loved his saying for brick walls, they are there for us to prove how bad we want something. I took this personal and hope to remember this the next time I hit a brick wall in my life. I found it amazing how determined and eager he was to continue with his life with noone pitying him. I really enjoyed this video and plan to watch more of his work soon.

    ReplyDelete