Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blog Post 13

top ten list




The, Top Ten Tips For Using Technology In The Classroom , reinforces everything that I have learned in EDM 310. In my opinion, I have a greater understanding and appreciation for the usage of technology in the classroom. After viewing the Top Ten Tips For Using Technology In The Classroom, I am confident that I will be able to apply the top ten list to my own classroom.

The first suggestion on the top ten list is to use streaming video, such as Youtube and Teacher TV. I have referred to Youtube many times for tutorials on how to do something, to view information to gain further knowledge on a subject, and to use it for EDM 310 in order to embed videos into my blog. I have found Youtube to be a great resource that I will continue to use. Teacher TV is another resource that I will explore in order to use it in my classroom.

Music is powerful! I believe that music is an essential asset to integrate into the curriculum. Music is a great motivator for young students as well as teenagers. In elementary school music is instrumental in teaching concepts and ideas for young students, however, I believe that teachers have a tendency to eliminate music in the curriculum as students get older. Technology has made it easier than ever to use music to strengthen and enhance the curriculum. Music can motivate, enhance information, and set a mood or tone for learning. Music can also teach students about other cultures world-wide, and teaching different genres of music will broaden a students world. I believe music is important to incorporate into the classroom, and technology makes it very convenient.

Teleconferencing using Skype can help students communicate worldwide. I believe it is also important for students to use Skype to communicate with people nation-wide . I believe students need to be able to communicate with students in their own country, and even their own state. Some students never have an opportunity to travel or visit other parts of the country or state, therefore, Skype will help students better understand the country and the community in which they live.

Interactive exercises tailored to a student's strengths and weaknesses have been the focus in creating curriculum in education for quite some time. Technology makes it possible and easier to accomplish this goal. Individualized instruction is challenging and time consuming, but technology allows a teacher to plan the curriculum using this approach. I believe that can be incorporated into interactive whiteboards. Students need to be comfortable using whiteboards for daily learning. In order for students to utilize whiteboards, teachers must be trained and proficient in using them . I believe using whiteboards will be a great motivator for teachers and students.

Podcast, blogs, Wikis, and internet tools will definitely add a new dimension to learning. After EDM 310, I am pleased to admit, that I feel strongly about utilizing these elements of technology in the classroom. These educational tools are essential for all types of learners, and they will really allow individualized instruction to thrive. When students and teachers are motivated to learn, the realm of possibilities are endless.

Social Networks, such as Facebook, and student Gadgets can also be an important tool to use in the classroom. Although Facebook is controversial, it is a useful form of communication to closed groups. Making the most of student's gadgets will allow learning to take place with technology that is already available to your students.

The final thought emphasized on the video, is to only use technology when it helps you achieve your lesson objective. This should be the principle applied with any teaching strategy in the classroom. It should always come down to your teaching objective!

1 comment:

  1. First of all, excellent writing. That is a great asset for anyone. Secondly, it sounds like your future students are in for a treat to be in your classroom. I agree that there are some good tips found in this blog. For my class, I think podcasts and blogs would be the most useful, but it sounds like you have a good plan for what you want to do. I've always heard you should make a plan and stick to it. Good luck in your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete