Friday, July 1, 2011

C4T #3

schools without walls


The first article that I read is entitled,  A School Without Walls . This article does a terrific job summarizing important issues pertaining to our educational system on a global scale.  One of the comments that was brought to my attention, was the fact that some teachers do not access technology to find experts in related fields of study when teaching.  I am in favor of relying on experts who are better prepared and more knowledgeable than myself.  Elementary school teachers are required to teach many subjects across the curriculum, therefore, it makes good sense to utilize such a wonderful resource when planning lessons.  

Another statement that captured my attention in the article was that relevance is much easier to illustrate beyond the classroom walls.  Technology has made this endeavor easy to accomplish.  It will be much more relevant for a student to speak and listen to students from another part of the world. Students will be able to have  meaningful conversations, ask questions, and interact in a social setting. Teachers should take advantage of these opportunities which can be easily attained through technology.

In relation to the topic mentioned above, when communication takes place on a global level, knowledge is gained, understanding is built, and empathy will follow.  If teachers pass along the ability to empathize with other individuals throughout our global community, the world will ultimately become a better place. The goal of every classroom teacher is to prepare students to become productive members of society. Our society is now a global community, therefore, teachers must think on a universal level when educating students.

The second article that I read was,  How Do You Know My name?  This title and statement is simple but true. Everyone wants to feel valued and important. Students and children are no exception. In the article, a student is surprised by a teacher in his school knowing his name. The writer of this article believes that students often find security in not being noticed.  However, when a student is acknowledged and valued as an individual, their self-esteem shines which gives them the confidence to take risk that they may not ordinarily take.  Furthermore, teachers must know their students in order to build a strong student/teacher relationship. This extends to students who are not in your classroom.  It may be challenging to learn every student's name school wide, but I do feel that it is important to know the name's of students on your grade level.

My view is that names are important just as people are important. This is especially true for the students in our classroom and our school. I want all of my students to know that I care about them as individuals. In addition, I want my students to know I value them, and want to know more about them such as,  their likes, dislikes, and personal feelings. I believe this begins by knowing their names.

No comments:

Post a Comment